Manage law firm monthly client invoicing process, handled all accounts payable & receivable for firm, ensure compliance with trust account and banking rules, prepare monthly financial statements, oversee accounting operations, analyze financial data, monitor expenses, cash management, forecast and budget revenue and expenses, coordinate any review or audit processes with CPA firm and ensure the accuracy of the Firm’s financial information. Provide information, primarily financial in nature, about all company activities that will assist the firm’s Equity Partners, management, and other users in making educated economic decisions about the firm’s future.
- Oversee and/or perform the accounts payable functions, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of invoices and operating expenses, purchase orders (if required), petty cash, employee expense reports, company credit cards, cash control, payroll processing and payroll tax compliance.
- Oversee and/or perform accounts receivable functions to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including timely deposits and record payments/cash receipts in billing and accounting software, monthly preparation of billing, prebills, client invoices, cash receipts application, cost of services sold and client billable expenses and ensuring the Firm is invoicing adequate soft costs. Manage overdue invoices and communicate past due accounts with clients and Partners.
- Manage the Firm’s billing and accounting software, update users, matters and billing rates including security of the software.
- Process client billing via CLIO.
- Track and monitor client contracts and billing rates, provide analysis and inform Partners when billing rates are scheduled to increase.
- Maintain and setup any necessary tax id numbers for payroll, unemployment or other tax related issues.
- Setup and maintain payroll through outsourced payroll company, address any specific payroll needs or issues as they arise, process and run bi-weekly payroll and any special employee payroll such as bonuses or retroactive payments, oversight of time entry of hourly employees and make necessary payroll entries in accounting system.
- Process Partner Guaranteed payments semi-monthly and track Guaranteed payments and health insurance benefits by partner for tax purposes.
- Manage Firm credit cards, ensuring appropriate usage, prepare and reconcile monthly credit cards and send to Financial Managing Partner for approval, ensure proper coding in accounting system and monitor usage in accordance with Firm policy.
- Prepare weekly cash position statements for management, prepare monthly timekeeper analysis and ensure all accounting entries are recorded to properly reflect both cash and accrual accounting for reporting.
- Assist with or prepare budgets and forecasts including any financial projections, contract costing or attorney hours analysis.
- Work with any outsourced financial oversight or consultants and Financial Managing Partner to prepare and produce monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Backup for staff and office personnel for general office duties including but not limited to answering phones, receiving and sorting mail, greeting visitors, scheduling firm meetings, etc.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge of CLIO or other law firm billing system
Cloud based accounting and billing applications
Advanced Excel, Word and Adobe skills
This position will not have any supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a clerical office setting.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and technical equipment.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time hourly position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. The firm is currently working under a voluntary remote work environment due to COVID-19. The proper candidate needs to be comfortable working in a remote environment while at home during a pandemic and must be self-directed, self-disciplined and accountable for time spent while out of the office.
This position may travel, but travel is expected to be less than 25%.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required.
Master’s degree and/or CPA certification preferred but not required.
Accounting and Law Firm experience required.
Compensation will be based on education, experience and special certifications or degrees which provide a level of competency and value to the Firm.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please provide resume and cover letter, including salary expectations to: email@example.com